Ability to Strike Inside US
The nation's top law enforcement official suggested Thursday that the terrorist group believed to be behind the recent attack in East Africa could not pull off a similar strike inside the US homeland.
Five days after terrorists launched a deadly assault inside a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, Attorney General Eric Holder said the US intelligence community still has not seen "any specific, credible evidence" that al Shabaab, an Al Qaeda off-shoot based in Somalia, is planning to do anything in the US
"I'm not sure they have the capacity to do anything in the United States," Holder added. "It doesn't mean, however, we will not take the threat that they pose...as a serious one."
A senior law enforcement official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, went further in assessing al Shabaab's capabilities. The latest US government analysis indicates that al Shabaab does not have the capacity to strike inside the United States, despite any desires they may have, the official said.
RELATED: Somali Jihadists Recruit in US, Canada, Europe
In conducting their deadly missions, al Shabaab is hoping to drive Western-backed forces – many of them from neighboring Kenya and Ethiopia – out of war-torn Somalia. So the terrorist group is focused on striking Western targets in Africa, not striking the US homeland, the senior law enforcement official said.
In fact, the US intelligence community has found "no specific, credible threats" indicating al Shabaab is planning "any additional near-term, follow-on attacks" in East Africa, according to a joint intelligence bulletin issued by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security earlier this week.
"The attack appeared designed to cause mass casualties and to gain media coverage by targeting a commercial facility frequented by Westerners as well as Kenyans," the bulletin said.
Meanwhile, agents from the FBI's New York Field Office landed in Nairobi on Thursday, joining other FBI personnel who were "on the ground since right after the incident began," as Holder described it...
"We [currently] don't have any verifiable information that would indicate one way or the other way whether any Americans were involved," said Holder, speaking at an unrelated press conference in Washington.
For several years, Holder's Justice Department has been grappling with a stream of Somali-Americans, many of them from Minnesota, who were recruited to join al Shabaab in Somalia. Justice Department officials have repeatedly expressed concern that such recruits could use their US passports to re-enter the United States and launch acts of terror inside the homeland.
But many of the recruits have been killed on the battlefield overseas, and those who have returned to the US are currently in prison. They have insisted they went to Somalia over a sense of Somali nationalism, not ill will toward the United States.
On Thursday, Holder did warn of one specific, credible threat to the US homeland: the looming government shutdown.
READ FULL SOURCE ARTICLE: 09/26/2013
Editor's Note: Meanwhile, al Shabaab is active - actively and overtly - recruiting operatives in the United States, and specifically in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota...Additionally, Mahdi Hashi, a member of an "elite al Shabaab suicide bombing unit," is now on trial in New York for attempting to make chemical weapons for use by the group on US soil...But no, no Mr. Holder, they couldn't possibly strike here...(moron)...
The BasicsProject.org informational and educational pamphlet series is now available for Kindle and iPad. Click here to find out more...
The New Media Journal and BasicsProject.org are not funded by outside sources. We exist exclusively on tax deductible donations from our readers and contributors.
Please make a tax deductible donation today.